Companion Information

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM

First, I'd like to say thank you for setting this up.

I'm new to the Blizzard API and just getting back into .NET so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I'm able to query the list of pets that my character has, but I'm not sure how I would query what each pet is. It returns the name of the pet (that I've set), but not the actual name (so it returns Boomstick instead of Enchanted Broom). Is there a way I can use the creature ID to look this up?

Also, Is there a way to return a list of all companions (whether I've collected them or not)? I have this list in an Excel spreadsheet already, but I don't have their CreatureIDs so if I ever wanted to "import" what pets I have, I wouldn't be able to because I don't have matching IDs.

I'm trying to create an app for myself that tracks the pets I have, their rarity, level, and name and also shows me what pets I don't have, zones they're in, etc. I know that similar apps exist, but I want to make my own so I can add some of the features I want and to help me get familiar with .NET programming again.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Hello

Unfortunately I am unaware of anyway to get the creature name using creature ID using Blizzard API. As far as I know, this information is not available using Blizzard's Community Platform API and hence not available using WOWSharp library (which is basically a wrapper for Blizzard's API).

However this information is available on some 3rd party sites like wowhead. For example Lil' Ragnaros has creature id of 51600 and information about it is available at: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=51600.

So basically you use the creature ID of the pets in your character profile and query wowhead using a WebClient or HttpWebRequest classes in your .NET program. I don't know if wowhead offers this data in JSON or XML format or is it just HTML format. But even if they have it only in HTML format, you can look for the <title> tag and parse the text if the only information you require is the name. You may also want to read the wowhead terms of use in case such call violates it. I am aware of several application that queries wowhead for other things, so I don't think there will be any legal issues.

Best regards,

Sherif

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Sherif,

Thank you for your reply. I figured that there wouldn't be a way to access it (at least for now). I found a list online of all the CreatureIDs for the pets and have just imported that into my database. I'll probably do something similar to what you suggested to automate the process down the road.

Thanks!